The Harsh Reality: Public education needs help! Our system is outdated, many (we think most) of our learners are not motivated by today’s classrooms, our achievement ranks medium to low when compared to other developed countries, and all this while global competition has our country in a slide.
BUT WAIT! There’s good news! Two powerful forces are coming together. A great opportunity for educators is hiding in plain sight. SO obvious.
One force is fifty years old, and the other is almost brand new.
FORCE NUMBER ONE: the strong desire that caring educators have always had to “individualize and personalize” learning. We all know that effective learning requires a focus on the needs of the individual.
FORCE NUMBER TWO: the powerful new technologies that are customizing nearly every industry and profession and Inevitable: Mass Customized Learning — Chapter 11, the elementary MCL vision, explains how to do it.
MCL for Young Learners — powered by Buzz Learning Management System
The Vision: (Read Chapter 11 of Inevitable)
The Reality: (Read Chapter 11 Very Carefully)
It has all been done before, just as described, without the technology
No assembly line industrial age structure, but a true mass customizing structure
We are developing the perfect tool to help you realize your MCL vision!Learn More!
NetGeners’ “Operational Manual” for Everything……..START!
…………. . . . and rally quickly after learning from mistakes.
Learning Opportunities/ Strategies
- Learning Outcomes written in an “I can . . .” format
- Grouping and regrouping based on learner needs
- Direct instruction when that meets the “how best learned” criteria
- Online learning when that meets the “how best learned” criteria
- Individual and group projects
- Seminars when interaction is most appropriate
- Peer coaching
Size Matters . . .
- Three LFs with about seventy-five learners might be ideal.
- But two or four LFs could surely make it work . . . if they liked each other!
- Actually one LF could make it work, but options for learners would be restricted.
- Three LFs seems about the right number to optimize “sharing the load” while not becoming too complex.
CROSS INDUSTRY LEARNING
Let’s learn from Apple, Amazon, Google, and other mass customizing industries. First, we ask, “How do they do that?” And second, “How can we do that for learners?” One layer below the experience of having products and services customized for us lies the answers to the “How Questions?” of Mass Customized Learning. It’s called cross-industry learning and stealing.
iTunes allows me to choose a single song from an inventory of 6+ million, download that song to my Bose assisted computer in less than 60 seconds, and be listening to my new favorite tune. GEE, how do they do that! Might our learners be able to download learning activities much like that?
There are many good books that help us to understand “how do they do that?” Check out the Inevitable resource list. You will learn the “how” of MCL throughout the book, and Chapter 11, the elementary MCL vision, explains how to do it.Chuck Schwahn
Verizon sends me my monthly bill. Gosh, they know who I called, who called me, when I called, how long I talked . . . and I have a sneaking suspicion they know what I said. GEE, how do they do that? Might our learners and the learning system create electronic learning portfolios much like that?
In short, the customizing technology to create a Mass Customized Learning Community is already available and has been proven to work very effectively. We, you and I, are experiencing it daily. So, we can start now . . . and does anyone doubt that in five years technology will have advanced far beyond its present capacity.
ready for rollout?
The Learning Community MCL To Do List:
1. Derive a Strategic Design
2. Write curriculum as Learner Outcomes
3. Categorize Learner Outcomes by Learning Format
4. Create and place Online Learning Outcomes online
5. Create Seminars for those Learner Outcomes requiring an interactive Seminar format
6. Design and implement Scheduling Technology for Individual Learners
7. Design and implement ePortfolio Technology for Individual Learners
8. Design and implement Accountability Technology for Administration
Inevitable: Mass Customized Learning was written to make the MCL vision clearly visible to everyone. Once you see it, you will want it! Chapter 11 gives the critical details about the "how".
COMING SOON! Our MCL LMS. Our customized Learning Management System is designed to be the perfect tool for your mass customized learning endeavors!